No products in the cart.
by Amanda Eva (SweetCapri)
I’m huge on learning from mistakes and making sure I work with the knowledge I gained from them. A few years ago while I was getting ready to compete at the Atlantic States I made several boo-boos – one being leaving way too late the evening before the show, and waking up extremely tired and in a horrible mood. Then there was the unexpected list of items I forgot to pack.
The first tip I’d give anyone who is preparing for a competition is to not wait until the last minute top pack. Start days in advance. Make a list, and you will notice as the days approach that list grows bigger and bigger – not because you keep adding unnecessary things, but probably because you are slowly remembering what to add!
So here are some things I bring with me:
- Competition Suit- besides bringing my own, I also bring an extra one or two. You just never know who might be in need of one or what might happen to yours. Helping others backstage, despite the competitive mentality, shows sportsmanship anyway.
- Shoes – don’t we all love those clear 6″ heels? I also bring an extra pair or 2.
- Bottle of whatever tanning product you used- for touch-ups.
- Bikini Bite- always always have this handy. The last thing you need is to have your ass or boob pop out of your suit and pull a Janet Jackson on everyone.
- Suit Fixer Uppers – I keep a kit with various size crystals, glue, safety pins, etc.
- Resistance Bands – very helpful to warm up backstage. It also helps the nerves!
- Jewelry – earrings, bracelets, and all your stage bling.
- Make up – most of us do our makeup or have it done prior to the show but please be sure to have the appropriate items for touch-ups. Also, DO NOT FORGET your false lashes. Always bring a few different styles.
- Wipes – I always bring baby wipes with me because they are such a multi-purpose item (makeup removal, to clean up suit, when toilet paper runs out…lol)
- Appropriate clothing – ladies, why oh why do you insist on trying to wear a cute outfit backstage to only have it ruined with spray tan? Bring loose fitting clothes, preferably black, and slippers! Robes are also very handy!
- Toiletries – bring your deodorant, toothpaste, razors (you never know when your hair might decide to make an appearance) and other toiletries. Remember, most of us take our last shower the day prior to the show so by the time this is all over, we don’t smell so nice and pretty.
- Hair accessories and tools.
- Full length mirror
- Tampons/Sanitary pads – Mother Nature has its way of showing up when uninvited.
- Snacks/Food – I have seen this so many times – competitors scrambling to get their meals, especially when flying to their destination. If you don’t want to bother with cooking and then traveling with your food, make the necessary arrangements with a food prep company. There are tons to choose from nowadays.
- Music or other relaxation techniques – helps you a lot backstage!
*** Hair tip – get your hair done a few days prior to the show, especially if you are going to be coloring and adding highlights. You do not want to end up with something you will hate and then it being too late to get it fixed. You want to give yourself plenty of time to play around with styles and stuff. Also, I’ve learned that hair that is not crispy clean, that has been sitting around for a few days in its natural oils, styles and holds better!
*** Skincare tip – treat this as you would your wedding day or that one other special event. You do not want to mess around and get a facial or start a new skincare regime the week leading up to the show. It might turn into a disaster!
So what’s in your competition bag? Did I miss anything?